Sunday, May 01, 2005

Don't Panic

Went and saw Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, tonight... friggin' brilliant. I watched a family (a man, wife and their fifteen year-old (looking) son) act all befuddled and get up and leave about thirty minutes into the movie... There were only about a dozen people in the theatre, total, and I'm honestly surprized that more people didn't leave... Well, basically, there were a few parents with their kids, and I'll bet a lot of money that the kids didn't get it (judging by the fact that a couple of them kept leaving to play video games)... and I'm willing to bet equal money that the parents probably didn't get it, either... I think there were a total of 4 people (two couples) that even knew what the movie was about before they got there... they "got it." The rest of the people there, I seriously doubt it. I think they brought their kids to see a space movie and left scratching their heads... I was actually a bit surprised that the movie even came to the area, considering the collective mentality of many of the citizens and the fact that the last book any of them read was probably a car manual... well, okay, that's not really fair to the cool people, here. but it's actually pretty safe to say that the vast majority of my friends in the area wouldn't like the movie, either.

Of course critics are going to pan the movie... that's because basically, they are big douches. Joel Siegel says, "Mos Def is a very talented actor, but aside from him, the cast virtually disappears into the scenery, and the scenery isn't very good. Fans will appreciate the film. But if anyone else wants to see it, visit me the next time you're in New York. I'll hit you with a shovel (a reference to what happens on one of the planets they visit). You'll save $10 and the feeling will be about the same." Hey, Joel - (you guessed it) you're a douche (and a pretty annoying one, at that).

My opinion is that you don't have to have read the book to be entertained by the movie... It might help, but it's definitely not necessary... All it really requires is a modicum of intelligence and a good sense of (British) humor.

Hats off to the entire cast... Sam Rockwell was particularly good as Zaphod Beeblebrox, president of the galaxy. I also thought Bill Nighy was good as Slartibartflast, as well... and Mos Def was great... well, like I said... the whole cast was well done... Two thumbs up! I'm already looking forward to the DVD.

No comments: