Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Too Cool, Yet So Sad...

I just saw (with the rest of the world) the video footage of Army PFC Jessica Lynch (from about an hour away from here, in Palestine, West Virginia) being rescued from an Iraqi hospital by a task force consisting of Army, Navy, AirForce, and Marines... Very cool. Very, very cool... Kudos to the Iraqi guy that tipped the military to her whereabouts (and even told them what room in the hospital she was in and everything)...
Jessica Lynch, in a 2000 family photograph... PFC Jessica Lynch inside the Army helicopter just moments after her rescue...
BEFORE AND "AFTER": Jessica Lynch (at left) in a family photo from 2000 and (at right) moments after being rescued by American troops in Iraq.

She looks so scared (and who the hell could possibly blame her?)... yet, I can guess she is probably also very relieved... I can also venture to guess her family is incredibly happy, as well... I honestly was afraid that we were never going to see or hear from her, again... I think the whole country breathed a big ol' sigh when the reports came out that she was not only alive but out of Iraqi hands... All she wanted was to go to college to become a teacher... She couldn't get a decent job anywhere, so she joined the Army to get the Montgomery G.I. Bill to have money to afford college... and this is what she got for it... shot (I hear she was shot, I hear she wasn't shot... but c'mon... the good money is she most likely got shot a couple times)... legs broken... broken arm... according to someone inside the hospital, she was being tortured, as well... no food for eight days... I sure as shit hope she'll become a teacher, now...

No comments: